Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Colossians Chapter 4 - October 8th, 2008

4:2 - Pray at all times, but don't just pray mechanically...watch your prayers, look at what you are saying and make sure they are not selfish but full of thanks for all that God has given you. I have a bad habit of resorting to businesslike prayers where I pray only for what I want and need (Even if the stuff is honorable like wisdom for youth leadership or something like that). I must watch myself and make sure I am honoring God for who He is and what He has done for me.

4:3 - Notice Paul does not say, "Please pray for me, so I can get out of prison."? He says, "Pray that God will open up doors so I can share the Gospel." What an incredible, unselfish attitude. I love that! I want to be like that - in the midst of terrible circumstances, I want my thoughts to be only for God and His kingdom. Wow.

4:12 - Paul says that Epaphras is, "always struggling on your behalf in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God." Could this description be given to me? I want to pray like this...I want to struggle on behalf of my family and my youth ministry praying that they will stand mature and assured in the will of God. This cuts to the heart, because I am frequently a man of selfish prayer.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

he's in prison again?!

Brand al Thor said...

He's always in prison...that's what you get when you are a hardcore Christian that doesn't back down, in a world that lacked freedom.

Ish said...

Father, help me to be like Paul. I want to constantly keep you at the top of my priorities and thoughts in the midst of trials and temptation. Continuously renew the way that I think! I love you...