Monday, June 22, 2009

Psalm 139 - June 22, 2009

The spiritual discipline we are practicing in the youth group this week, is the discipline of prayer. One of the techniques we are using, is called "praying through scripture." You simply meditate on God's word and pray through the passage allowing God to speak to you. I figured I could use some of those passages int he blog this week. You can take Psalm 139 and insert your name where there is an "I" or a "me," it is an incredible practice to hear God speak His love to you. These are the first 12 verses of Psalm 139...read through them and put your name in the blank. What is God saying to you?

1 O LORD, you have searched _____________
and you know ___________.
2 You know when ___________ sits and when ___________ rises;
you perceive ___________ thoughts from afar.
3 You discern ___________ going out and ___________ lying down;
you are familiar with all ___________ ways.
4 Before a word is on ____________ tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.
5 You hem __________ in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon _____________.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for _____________,
too lofty for ___________ to attain.
7 Where can ___________ go from your Spirit?
Where can ___________ flee from your presence?
8 If ___________ goes up to the heavens, you are there;
if ___________ makes his/her bed in the depths, a]">[a] you are there.
9 If ___________ rises on the wings of the dawn,
if ___________ settles on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide __________,
your right hand will hold __________ fast.
11 If __________ says, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
As I read through the passage above putting my name in the blank, I couldn't help but connect to God. I couldn't help but feel more deeply how well He knows me, how much He longs for a relationship with me. Thank you Lord.

No comments: