Monday, February 1, 2010

2 Samuel Chapters 7-9

7:2 - David who has shown himself to always be gracious and thankful about what God has given him, does not like the fact that while he lives in a pimped out crib, God's ark (For the Israelites - the very presence of God) lives in a musty old tent. He is determined to build God a fitting temple. David's attitude puts a huge challenge out there for us...are we more focused on honoring God in life or ourselves?

7:5ff - God makes it clear to David - I don't want you to build me a temple. God says, "The ark has been in a tent since the time of Moses - have I ever asked you guys to build me anything else?" Why does God reject David's heart-felt desire? God is huge and wild and powerful and in control of the universe...he cannot be bought...he cannot be chained to a tiny little building. The other pathetic gods in the ancient near east needed temples and statues to have power (at least power in the flawed human mind)...God did not want to be compared to false deities. (Plus, as we find out later - David is a man of war...he is a man of blood...and even though God made him successful as a warrior, he is not the man to build God a temple)

7:9ff - How crazy is this? God says, "No David you cannot build me a house, what I am going to do instead is build you into a great house that will last forever." Wow! David wants to do something for God and God turns around and blesses him instead. In fact, God establishes a house in the line of David that will actually become His house...Jesus Christ comes from the line of David...so in the tiny little human body of a descendant of David, God will shed all His power and become a man. It is through that God/man Jesus that salvation is offered to the world, so that all men can become the dwelling place of God. How insanely awesome is that!

7:28 - David is so different than Saul. God reject the plan that David had, and David just accepts it and praises the name of God.

8:11 - David becomes very successful and powerful, yet he still understands that it all comes from God. He offers the spoils of war up to God immediately. I think most human beings have a really hard time with this. I find that in my times of greatest success, I have the greatest temptation to think that it was all because of something I did...how hard I worked...or how skilled I am. I need to remember as David did that everything I have, everything I am, everything I accomplish is from God.

9:1 - David firmly establishes that he is the standard by which all kings should be judged...he is God's king. He made a covenant with Jonathan to protect his family, and as soon as he had settled in as the king, he followed through on his covenant.

9:6 - Such a great picture of Christ-like leadership and authority. David the king bows before a crippled man who should probably be his enemy as a servant. The image that came immediately to my mind was the image of Jesus washing the feet of his disciples (including Judas). Humble service is how leaders really make their mark.

9:11 - According to the customs of the ancient near east, Mephibosheth should have been killed. He is in the line of Saul. When new kings took over power they routinely murdered every living relative of the previous king's family - to make the transition of power smooth. Yet David offers Mephibosheth mercy and a place at the banquet table. Somebody who deserved death, was offered mercy and honor...hmmm, that sounds familiar. Oh wait, that's what Jesus offered everyone of us.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chapter 7. God is a giving God. Really, what can be offer him from this world. He only desires our choice to love Him back.

vs 25. We should follow the example of David of praying God's promise for us to Him. But not only for us but for others. God as you promise, comfort those who mourn in Haiti.

Ch 8. I would have hated to be the guy who was told to take this length of cord and measure off two lenghts then kill those and allow the next length to live.

Ch 9. Beautiful.

Brand al Thor said...

Mr. T - while David was practicing war with God's assistance, situations like what you picked up on in chapter eight are why I don't think David was able to build the temple. Blood on his hands. And that was a different culture...those men were their enemies...men that would slaughter their wives and kids if given the chance...David and his men were actually showing mercy by not slaughtering them all (As weird as that sounds).

Matt said...

8:15- that is a rare occurrence in history.

Ish said...

For a bit I was stuck on 7:11-16. This is where God promises David about establishing a house for him and the prophecy of Jesus. We also see God mention in verse 14 that he will punish him. What one must know is that throughout this promise, God is referring to David's entire offspring, starting with Solomon. This word son in verse 14 in the Hebrew can be used as singular or plural. Generally when this word is used, it is in reference to "offspring" as a whole. It is up to the context of the rest of the language around this word to determine which part of the offspring it is referring to. In this case, God will do as he promised throughout the rest of David's lineage. Someone in the lineage of David will come and establish God's kingdom forever. If anyone in the lineage of David does wrong, he will be punished with the rods of men. This description is about the lineage of David, though not every bit of the description applies to every person to come in the lineage of David. I had a little trouble with this, but then I had it explained.

Brand al Thor said...

Ish I don't know what translation you use, but the ESV says this... "Moreover, the LORD declares to you that the LORD will make you a house. When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers,I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. When he commits iniquity,I will discipline him with the rod of men, with the stripes of the sons of men, but my steadfast love will not depart from him,as I took it from Saul, whom I put away from before you. And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me. Your throne shall be established forever."

As a father myself, I didn't have an issue with the passage, because when you love your kids - you discipline them when they get out of line. God says he is going to do whatever it takes to keep the line of David moving forward (towards Jesus)...if they turn from Him, He is going to get them back on the right path, even if it requires a little pain.

Ish said...

Thanks Brandon. I'm not sure if I used incorrect verbatim, but what you said is what was explained to me. Thanks for breaking it down and explaining it to me in verbatim I can understand and use in future occurences so I don't confuse people. I used the NIV.