Thursday, July 22, 2010

Nehemiah Chapters 10 - 13

10:29 - Interesting statement here...it says they entered into a curse and an oath. It sounds strange to consider entering in to a relationship with God to be a curse, but what they are trying to do is highlight the seriousness of this sacred covenant. They are making an oath - promising to follow God - and that is something that will bring great hope and prosperity to their lives, if they stay faithful to God. But they also must understand that if they turn their backs on God, then they have turned this blessing into a curse and will bring disastrous consequences.

10:30ff - I think it would be really beneficial for churches to have people agree to very specific covenants when they enter into community together. Talk about a great way to make sure that everyone understands the core values of a church. What do you think some of those covenant promises would sound like in a church today?

11:2 - Jerusalem is a broken down ghost town with a newly built wall and a temple. It is surrounded by enemies - not exactly making the top ten list of great places to live. So the men who are willing to live in the sitting and defend it and work towards rebuilding it are honored. They are more focused on God being honored than on their own comfort.

12:30 - I love that they dedicate and set apart everything for God's service - themselves, the gates, the wall, etc. They never celebrate their own ingenuity and commitment to get the wall built, because this wall was not rebuilt for their glory but for the glory of God. So they purify it and offer it up to Him as their sacrificial gift. Really beautiful. Something that should probably be worked into Christian building projects as they come about.

13:3 - Wow - utter conviction and instant action...that is a great picture of committed faith. Wish I was a little better at acting upon my convictions.

13:7-8 - While Nehemiah was gone, Eliashib prepares a chamber inside the house of God for Tobiah! This was a chamber that was used to house goods that were basically stolen from other priest (i.e. stolen from God). This room is created to bring honor and power to a man and they have the audacity to build it right into the house of God. Talk about twisted! Church leaders must be really careful never to use their position of influence in churches to set up position of power and self-glorification.

13:17 - Here we go again...look how quickly they are going back on the covenants they just renewed. They are already trying to turn the life-giving covenant into a curse.

13:31 - Throughout chapter 13 you see Nehemiah say over and over that he wants God to remember his good deeds. His focus in life is to leave behind a legacy of honoring God. Not a bad life focus if you ask me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

10:30. In my opinion it would look something like this,
I will be available to listen and to pray with my friends, even when it is not convenient.
I will not pre-judge people in our outside the church.
I will make available my blessings from God to those who are in need.
I will be a good steward of my blessings so that I am in a position to be able to help others.
I will serve in some capacity in my Church so that others can grow.

The list could get long, but those are some of the top things on my list.

Brand al Thor said...

I like it Mr. T - work it up and present it to the elders.

=)