Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Romans Chapter 15 and 16 - May 14, 2008

*Doing two chapters because I still have a couple to make up for and usually the final chapters aren't quite as theologically brain-busting.

15:1 - There are many times when I get frustrated with people because they aren't as mature in the faith as I think they should be (And I'm the judge of all things spiritual for all people right? LOL). It seems like maybe my refusal to accept people where they are calls into question my own level of spiritual maturity. I believe that I get frustrated with people because I view myself as making sacrifices in life that they aren't making. I think I might be a little jealous...which is absurd! Can I truly not be happy with the blessings that growing closer to God brings to me? Do I really miss the old life I had, and get angry with people who are still living it? If my foundation is firmly is Jesus Christ I should be able to sympathize and bear with weaker Christians, because I know how good I have it...unfortunately that isn't usually my response.

15:18ff - Paul can boast because he doesn't boast in his own power. Every good thing he has done...every positive aspect of his ministry...ever miracle performed and person saved is from God. Paul understands that and it helps him have a realistic outlook on the good and the bad things that come his way.

15:27 - I know people hate to talk about money in church, but again and again we see that Jesus and Paul are willing to talk about it all the time. That has to tell us something. For Paul in this passage there is an expectation...if you are receiving spiritual blessing from your new found brotherhood of Christianity, it is a given that you pour out material blessings in return. It is clearly a part of growing in spiritual maturity. You don't save yourself through giving...you don't get extra brownie points with God for giving...it is simply a natural reaction to coming into contact with God. When you see how blessed you are - you bless others. Deal with it!

16:1-16 - Do I live my life that my friends and colleagues would address me like this? He risked his neck for my life. Hard worker. Beloved of the Lord. Fellow worker in Christ. It gives us something to strive for...not to be honored by men, but to live in such away that we are leaving a godly impression wherever we go.

16:17-18 - People within our churches who create divisions and live contrary to the gospel do not serve God...they serve their own appetites. The only thing that they can think of is their own pride...their own well-being...their own honor...they have become an idol for themselves. These are toxic people that must be confronted and held accountable. God, please help me to be a man who serves you and not myself. God please help me to be man who builds your church up and does not destroy it.

16:20 - The prophecy given to Adam and Eve in the garden will soon be fulfilled, and the God of peace will bring peace to the entire universe by crushing the head of the serpent - the prince of lies - Satan. Amen.

1 comment:

Ish said...

Two things really spoke to me today: In the beginning of chapter 15 when he talks about dealing with the weaker brother. Something I've been really good at, and I am thankful that God wired me this way, is just being able to love people. I can get along with anybody. And as awesome as that is, at times I find myself in these triangles where the two people I love don't respect each other or see eye-to-eye very well. But when in that situation where one is bashing the other, I need to stand up for the one being bashed in a way where I still honor and love the person who is doing the bashing. It's a tough balance, but I pray that one day all these broken triangles I am in will be complete. I know I have my flaws and it kills someone else when they see it.
The other thing that stood out to me is the usage of the word innocent at the end of Romans 16: be wise to what is good, and innocent to what is evil. The usage of the word innocent here does not entail lack of knowledge. We like to coin the term "innocence" as exposure. Like, when you hear a curse word for the first time, you have lost your innocence. That is NOT the way this word is used in this passage. This same word is used 2 other times in scripture. In Mt 10:16 - "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.
Also in Php 2:15 - so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world...

Both times, the word is used more in the context of a trial. You are either guilty or doing something or innocent of not doing it. Mere knowledge or exposure is not enough to lose your innocence, the way this word is used here. Sometimes though, our lack of action to this knowledge or exposure is enough to be guilty. All that to say, Paul is not saying "Shelter yourselves, that you may not know what this is." If you've managed to stay away from even knowing a sin because of the culture you live in, congrats! If you live in a society where a particular sin is prevalent, knowing does not make you any less.