Friday, April 30, 2010

I Chronicles Chapters 17-19

17:12 - *SPOILER ALERT* Who says Jesus isn't in the OT? That is what this prophecy is all about. This prophecy given directly to Nathan for David is a revelation of God's ultimate plan. He will bring a man (Jesus) out of David's line (Through Mary) and he will be a son to God - sound familiar? Another proof that God has always had a plan for the salvation of the entire universe.

17:21 - I love David's humility and his understanding that all the blessings of Israel have come from God, but there is one thing he fails to understand fully. Yes, God specifically chooses the Israelites to be His people, but He raises them up as a priest nation so that all nations will be drawn to the awe inspiring name of God.

18:11 - David routinely gives the first and best of the spoils he acquires in victory directly to God. He understands that every good thing he has is from God anyway. This is something I think we often forget (I know I do). I act as if my own giftedness has allowed me to find success in life, and having an arrogant attitude like that makes it harder for me to be generous. Generosity comes easy to David because he has a healthy understanding of being humble before God.

19:13 - I really love this speech from Joab. He wants to use strength for the greater good and for the sake of God's name. That is truly the only appropriate way to use strength. Think about the evil and suffering that ensues when people try to use their strength to conquer and oppress simply to bring honor and victory to themselves. How different would the world be if men and women made a concerted effort to use their strength only to honor God and hep people?

2 comments:

Matt said...

17:6- Jesus himself also used the shepherd analogy right? It got me thinking about the whole "Jesus goes to High School" thing... What sort of parables would he use today? its entertaining to think about.

17:12- Is there a place where the bloodline from David to Jesus is written?

19- they should make a movie out of this.

Brand al Thor said...

Good question Matt - what did you come up with?

Matthew has the genaology.

Yes - but it would be "R" rated I think...alot of violence.