Monday, April 19, 2010

II Kings Chapters 24-25

24:4 - To answer Matt's question in his comment, I don't think this is a statement about God's unwillingness to forgive as it is about His people's unwillingness to repent and turn away from their rebellion.

24:20 - As we have seen throughout the Old Testament, God's grace is huge, but He is also a righteous judge and He is willing to bring punishment upon His people. With no punishment of their rebellion, there is really no hope of their turning back to Him. He has given them chances over and over and is now allowing them to reap the harvest of what they have sown - destruction.

25:9 - When God has to discipline His people, His own named is trampled. His people broke the covenant and rejected Him, but it is His temple and His Holy Name that is cursed and destroyed by the pagan armies. God is humiliated in the minds of their enemies, because of the actions of His people. I want to live my life in such a manner to bring glory to the name of the Lord.

25:20 - The priesthood is slaughtered. The Babylonians believe this is the way to wipe a religion off the face of the earth...but this is no religion - it is reality. God exists and cannot be overcome because His priests are killed or His temple destroyed. He is the creator God of the universe and working out His plan in the midst of the corruption of His people.

1 comment:

Matt said...

24:4- What does it mean the Lord was not willing to forgive? Is this like pharaoh and God hardening his heart?

25- That whole story is depressing. If I read it right, it looks like God doesn't take sides with anyone. All the kings are evil and he abandons them and lets them have what they deserved. I thank God every day that he hasn't abandoned me, even after all the crap I've brought along with me. Even in my lowest times I could always feel him sort of poking at my heart- really convicting me.