Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lamentations 3:22-27

What is the main point of this passage? The chapter starts out very darkly, with the author describing some difficulties he has experienced. He feels that he has experienced the full weight of the wrath of God because he has wandered from the Lord. Yet, even in this time when he feels separated from God...when he feels like he is utterly lost and broken...the only thing that keeps him going is to remember the truth about who God is. The section we read today is the hope that the man going through hard times clings to. He knows that the Lord is his only hope...he knows that God is eternally loving and faithful and that if he is willing to wait on the Lord, he will receive the salvation that only God can offer.

What part of this passage spoke most deeply to you? "The Lord is good to those who wait for him." - that is what really jumped out at me from this passage. This concept of waiting on the Lord is so hard for me...I want to act...I want answers...I want guidance - NOW! That is the way I operate and the way that I believe most of the people in our culture operate...with an expectation of instant gratification. It is very difficult to cry out to God and hear Him say back, "Wait." or "No." I am reminded of King Saul, who refused to wait for the priests of God to get to the front of the battle lines to make the appropriate sacrifices to God before a huge battle. Saul, instead of waiting, chose to improperly offer sacrifices himself...and it was the final straw that cost him his kingship. Saul refused to wait on God's timing and I think that is what I often do. Instead of waiting I act impulsively...I try to do everything myself...I make rash decisions. Waiting on the Lord may be difficult, but it is essential to the authentic Christian life. This passage tells us plainly that God is good to those who wait...it is good for human beings to understand that the world does not revolve around their every move. To wait on God is to trust that God is in control and to believe that God knows what He is doing...when we refuse to wait on God, it is really a sign of our lack of faith. And we must remember, waiting does not me just sitting around doing nothing...waiting is not a sign of laziness. Waiting on the Lord is about seeking God with your whole heart and soul...it is about crying out to God and listening for His voice in the innermost part of your being...it is about opening your ears and your heart to where the Lord is calling you to go. It is not a passive show of laziness, it is an active demonstration of faithfulness.

No comments: