Thursday, April 19, 2012

Proverbs 3:5-12

Wow! Good stuff from Proverbs...

v.5 - What does it look like to trust in the Lord with all of your heart? It is followed up by "lean not on your understanding," so I am guessing that trusting the Lord is about having a healthy distrust of your sinful human nature. There is a part of every one of us that is utterly focused on selfishness...a part of us that is whispering lies in our heart that lead us away from God. To trust God with my whole heart, I need to let go of those dark corners of idolatry in my heart that distrust God because they want to be worshipped. See, there is a part of me that wants to be worshipped...that wants to sit on the throne...that wants to be constantly served...that part of me does not like submission to God. That part does not like trusting God, because it knows that God's plans are not always centered around what is easiest for Brandon. Today God, please help me to offer every part of myself to You...please help me to remove myself from the throne that belongs to You. You ways are higher and better and perfect, and I want to have the freedom to trust you completely...please help me get there.

v. 9 - So often we focus on using whatever wealth we have to honor ourselves, don't we? I mean, do you really think of it like this? Do you really think to yourself on a regular basis...how can I use the money I am making to honor God in the most significant way? When promotions and money making opportunities come up, are we saying,."Wow, this will enable me to serve God and help others even more effectively."? Let's be honest - that's not what we are thinking...we are thinking, "Now I can get that bigger house...now I can get that newer car...SHOPPING SPREE!" How much would ours pending habits change if we chose to view our wealth as seed money that God had given us to impact His kingdom? For Christians that really is what it is, isn't it? We get so possessive of our money and possessions...but in reality, they are not really ours and they are not eternal - why are we so obsessed with them? We need to be asking ourselves every time we pay bills...every time we budget...every time we are about to spend money - how can I honor God with what I have been given?

No comments: