Tuesday, January 20, 2009

John Chapter 1 - January 20, 2009

I thought it would be cool to hit John before we tear into Revelation...so here we go.

1:3 - I love this opening poem about Jesus. It is beautiful and I like that it ties in with Paul's hymn about Jesus in Colossians chapter 1 (I just taught about that on Sunday). Talk about more than just a simple teacher or rabbi or prophet...Jesus is the author and sustainer of everything that exists! Kind of a big deal, huh?

1:10 - This is such a perfect/painful picture of the fullness of our fallen human nature. Our connection with God has been so sabotaged by our sinfulness that we cannot tell when he is in our midst. We were made by him and for him and we are so blind we can look right past him. This is why he had to come down to earth to save us...we were too lost to ever right the ship.

1:18 - "At the father's side" can be translated "in the father's bosom," and I like that word picture a little better because I think it describes the oneness of the Father and Son.

1:29 - I want to be like John...so connected with the Spirit of God that when I see Jesus at work in this world, I instantly recognize it. This is the polar opposite of the people described in verse 1:10...who I desperately do not want to be. God please help me to be so in tune with you that I can see you at work in this world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing about Collosians while reading Chapter one. Two different guys, written at different times in different places, but the message is the same. They got it!

One thing that impresses me about John the Baptist is his complete humility. Not once did he ever think it was about him, his mission was always about Christ. I'm in the Pee Wee league compared to him.

You commented on how the world did not recognize Jesus. You think about the apostles and how they have listened to the prophets for hundreds of years, and yet they were aware enough to follow him. That must have really been sad for Jesus knowing that his own creation did not recognize him. I guess that would be like me showing up at one of my kids house and them not opening the door to let me in. Rejected.