Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Psalms 19-28

19:5 - I really like this verse..."like a strong man runs his course with joy." A true sin of godly strength is being able to work and do what you have been called to d with joy in your heart.

19:7-9 - This is a great list of some of God's characteristics and the blessings they offer us: renewal, wisdom, joy, discernment, hope, righteousness, etc. The very nature of God gives us the soul food we need to be sustained.

20:7-8 - People who put their trust in the things of man are always let down...trust in the Lord!

21:6 - This verse can also be translated, "you make him a source of blessing forever." I like the thought that the Lord pours our Himself and fills us up to overflowing, so that we in turn can become a blessing the the lives of others.

22:1,8,16 and 18 - This is a prophetic psalm. David is speaking about his own trials, but as he connects with the Spirit of God, he paints a picture for us of what the sacrificial death of Jesus will look like. Jesus cried out from the cross, "My God, my God - why have you forsaken me?" (v.1) Men at the foot of the cross mocked Jesus, saying, "Let his God rescue him now!" (v.8) His hands and feet were pierced on the cross and the soldiers cast lots for his clothing. (v.16 and 18) David is predicting the crucifixion (probably unbeknownst to him).

22:28 - Jesus is the ultimate king. He is the universal king. He showed that true power comes through sacrificial leadership as he conquered sin and death through humble service. Is that the kind of leadership we value?

23:1-3 - We all have our own wants, but we shouldn't become obsessed with those...the Lord will give us exactly what we need. In fact, there are times when He will make us receive the things we need.

24:5-6 - Those who seek God's face will receive righteousness and blessings from God. That sounds pretty good, maybe we should make that part of our lives...that whole "seeking God's face" thing.

25:14 - Interesting...God's friendship is for those who fear Him? This seems like such a foreign concept to me...I don't think we generally equate friendship with fear. How does this work? Fear in regards to God is a picture of humility and respect...humility and respect are things that are essential to all relationships. To have that intimate connection with God that He desires to have with us and that we so desperately need...there has God to be a humble respect (fear) of Him.

26:2 and 3 - This is a pretty bold request from David. He specifically asks God to test his faith. I find it interesting that David also says right out that it is God's steadfast love that gives him the strength to remain faithful and true. He God to test him over attributes that only exist because God is sustaining him...this is kinda like a sneaky praise of God. He says, "God, you can test me, but you will only find faithfulness because your love is so awesome - I couldn't possibly turn away!"

27:4 - This verse was actually given to me as a life-verse by a missionary friend of mine named Steve Allen who led us on a trip to Thailand (6/28/08). The Lord put this verse on his heart for me and I cherish to this day. It has become a verse that I want to embody...I want to walk with God daily...I want to live in constant connection with Him...I want to reflect His beauty in my life...I want my words to be laced with God's wisdom. Thanks Steve!

28:8 - Our strength can only be found in God and nothing else...never forget that!

No comments: