Monday, October 25, 2010

Psalms 42-49

42:1-2 - Does my soul thirst for the living God? Does yours? Is that what I chase after and pant after on a daily basis - reconnection with my creator God? Everything outside of God eventually leaves me empty and dry...my soul is made for living water and there is nothing in this world that can quench my soul thirst.

42:5 - Why do we often have inner turmoil going on like the psalmist? Because we put our hope int hings other than God and they always let us down. His answer to the problem is simple - PUT YOUR HOPE IN GOD!

43:3 - What a powerful prayer request...I want to make this my prayer. God please send your light to guide me, so that I might enter into your presence. That's what I need on a daily basis.

44:15-18 - Here we see some of the raw feelings and truthfulness that are presented int he psalms. The psalmist believes that he and the Jewish people have remained faithful to God, yet it feels like God has forsaken them. They do not feel His presence...things are not like they used to be. The writer is confused that it seems like everything has turned against him even though he has remained faithful. Ask the disciples what they would have to say about that. Many of them remained faithful to the point of being jailed, mocked, tortured and killed for their faith. Faithfulness does not always = an easier life...but faithfulness always ensures a future hope.

44:23-24 - The writer continues to pour out his heart...he is hurting and confused and he is letting God know about it. The thing I like about this passage is that it reminds me that God can take whatever I can dish out...it is better to me to pour out my confusion and anger on God then to bottle it up and turn away from Him. The psalmists ask why it seems like God is doing nothing about the terrible situation going on around him - you ever been there?

45:2-4 - This is a great psalm for sons and young men...I cannot wait to read and pray this over my sons some day! "Prepare for battle my son and know that through faith you are a reflection of the image of God in this world. You are a warrior priest. Son, ride out victoriously in this world to fight for the cause of truth, for the meek and for righteousness. Let your deeds be deeds that shout to the world that you are a son of the Most High God!"

46:10 - SHHHHHHHHH! BE QUIET! Stop allowing yourself to get distracted by the things of this world...stop distracting yourself by allowing your mind to endless speak and question and doubt. Be still and know your God. Be quite and listen for His voice. He is worthy of exaltation, so take some time out of your day to seek Him.

48:12-14 - I like this passage about the city of God...to me it speaks of understanding God's characteristics. Study the traits of God. Spend time walking in His presence...walking in His ways. Get to know God's heart like you know the back of your hand. When you know your God, you will be able to pass that knowledge on tot he next generation.

49:13-15 - Those who blindly place their faith in wealth and humanity are setting themselves up for a bitter end to a bitter life. They are like sheep being led into a chasm of nothingness by the shepherd Death. It is a futile existence. Thank you God for offering a different path. Thank you God for ransoming my soul and giving me hope!

4 comments:

Matt said...

42:5- I love how the writer calls God his salvation, even though Jesus and the Holy spirit are terms he didn't know about. Sometimes I wonder what my faith would look like if I lived back then.

46:10- :)

Brand al Thor said...

It is cool to see the depth of their understanding of God even though they didn't have the information we do...I think we get a little spoiled and don't spend the time searching God that some of these men did.

Anonymous said...

42:2 Why is it we thirst for God when this life isn't going well, yet when things are rockin along we feel satisfied by the world? It is spiritually healthy to experience tough times.

43: One of my long time friends I went to college yesterday called me to tell me his brother committed suicide. If only his brother would have leaned on God when his soul was downcast.

44: I like your comments on 44.

47:4 He chose our inheritance by sending His Son.

48: As we are studying Ezra in small groups, this made me consider what those who knew this scripture must have felt. Confusion? Did they think that no matter what, the city would never be destroyed?

49:7-9 A comment on the reality that only the life of Jesus is a qualified ransom for our lives.

Brand al Thor said...

Nice thoughts Mr. T - thank you.