Monday, November 15, 2010

Psalms 107 - 114

107:10-11 - This is a description of the fate of those who refuse to listen to the voice of God that is calling to their souls. Trapped in darkness and shadow...prisoners of affliction. This is what life is like for those who do not have the hope and light offered by the truth of God. Heartbreaking...and all around us.

108:1 - I love that phrase - I will worship with all my being! That is the state in which we should worship God...in which we should live our lives...offering every part of ourselves to God. I have nothing to be ashamed of - I worship the Most High God! No shame - just praise.

109:1-2 - I appreciate that when people around David turn on him and started trying to tear him down, he immediately turns to God. He listens diligently for the Word of God to drown out the evil lies of the people around him. Allow God to speak truth into your heart...do not allowed other flawed people to determine your worth.

110:4 - This is the verse that is quoted in Hebrews chapter 7, which is basically a description of Jesus. He is a priest int he order of Melchizedek which means he is greater than the Levitical priesthood according to the author of Hebrews. Melchizedek had no recorded lineage so he was not a priest by birth - he was chosen by God. Melchizedek blessed Abraham - so he was greater than all Abraham's descendants including the Levites. Jesus is the ultimate High Priest because he was chosen by God (He is God)...because he is greater than all who came before him (Again, he is God)...and because unlike the Levites he did not need to make sacrifices for his own sin (He was perfect). We have the ultimate high priest representing our name to God in heaven and that lets me sleep better at night.

111:10 - Question - how do you practice fearing the Lord? What do you think?

Psalm 112 - Now that is a description of what a true man of strength and honor looks like right there! That is a man that I want to pattern my life after...that is a man who leaves behind a legacy of faith in the lives of his children and the people he influenced.

113:3 - My life should revolve around praising God - from the moment I wake to the moment I fall asleep...worship should be at the very core of my being...it is what I was created to do.

114:7 - May I always tremble int he awesome presence of my God.

2 comments:

Matt said...

111:10- Well, God is the creator and sustainer of everyone's existence and could unmake us if he wanted. That instills a bit of fear.

Brand al Thor said...

Haha - yeah it does!