Monday, November 8, 2010

Psalms 88-93

Notice in the heading of Psalm 88, this psalm was written by He-Man. He-Man! How cool is that?

88:10-12 - The Hebrew people at this time had a vague and undeveloped understanding of existence in the afterlife. The psalmist asks, "Do you work wonders for the dead? Do the dead rise to praise you?" Fortunately we know as Christians what the trued answer to these questions is - YES! God continues to work His wonders in the presence of the believers for all eternity...death is really just a door to true existence. And yes, we rise to praise God as we live in His presence.

89:14-16 - This is a great description of the nature of God. Righteousness and justice make up the foundation of His throne. Steadfast love and faithfulness emanate from His person. Those of us who allow God's nature to shape our lives will be truly blessed.

89:36 - The psalmist is referring to the lineage of David. He says that God promised that David's family line would endure forever, and it does - Jesus was born into human form from the line of David. So that means David's line has actually endured since the beginning of time because Jesus is God. Whoa - my head hurts.

90:4 - Here is a cool description of God's unique temporal existence. Time puts no constraints of God...He is the creator of time. God is outside of time and beyond the reach of time...again...my head hurts.

90:12 - We must always remember that we will not live forever...life is very short and you never know when yours is going to be over. Make sure you make the best use of every day that you have. We must seek to do things of value in this life and we must seek out the wisdom of God, because His wisdom is eternal.

91:1-2 - Dwell in the shelter of the Most High...find refreshment in the shadow of the Lord - is this what I try to live out every day? If I trust in God, I will be able to find peace and fulfillment in His presence. Who do I trust? Myself? Others? Money? Security?

92:1 - This is a great outline for living out a meaningful Sabbath time. Thank God. Praise God. Tell people about His steadfast love. Tell people about His faithfulness. I could see that outline leading to a powerful experience in the presence of God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

88:18 .....darkness is my closest friend.
We are blessed to be born to day with the gift of grace where light is our closest friend when we are close to death.

89:47
You know what one of the beautiful things about God's word is? The ability to speak to you differently as you age. Not that I am any where near death, but you start to look at life differently. You look to the past and wonder why did I ever spend time doing those things which were futile. The the New Testament's theme is forgetting what is behind and move forward.

ch. 91
I like how is starts out by stating that God is their dwelling place. I need to take that attitutde in my home.

I'm glad that we have a clear picture of life and God. When I read this I think that death is a result of God's anger in their eyes. When we read the words of Jesus, death is the beginning.

vs14: God responds to our love, how awesome is that!

92:14 The righteous will still bear fruit in their old age. I better let Kathi know things may be changing!

Brand al Thor said...

Hahaha Tim - I can't wait to meet the new little David baby.