Friday, November 5, 2010

Psalms 80-87

80:8-11 - Very great analogy...God took a vine out of Egypt, planted it in the Promised Land and helped it to grow. But when the vine began to produce corrupt fruit, God allowed it to be cut back. We must all make sure that our lives are connected with the true source so that we will produce true fruit.

81:10 and 16 - God offers us bread that sustains and fulfills (His Word, His Presence), yet we always seek the bread of the world which drives us to continually consume while never filling us up.

82:3-4 - God sits in judgement over all the rulers of the earth/all the leader...do they give justice to the weak and fatherless? Do they rescue the needy? Do they help the least of these? If they don't - they have God to answer to.

83:4-5 - This evil covenant has been lived out in generation after generation of people on the face of the earth. The forces of evil, probably spurred on by Satan, have always tried to extinguish the people of God from the world.

84:1,2 and 10 - These are the verses that inspire one of my favorite worship songs from the old days - Better is One Day. I love the conviction of the words - better is one day in your courts than thousands elsewhere. It is better to be in the presence of God than anywhere else...do you seek that out on a daily basis?

85:10 - These are godly characteristics that go hand in hand and support one another. The faithful are steadfast in their love. Example: If I am faithful to my wife it takes so much more than just not sleeping with other women...in means that day by day am steadfast in my love for her...it means that I work continually body and mind to commit myself to the vows I gave to her. Those who have been made righteous by God should always seek peace...something for all Christian to think about.

86:11 - Please Go...write this on my heart. Knowing your ways starts with fearing you. Why? Because when I fail to understand your incredible awesomeness...when I allow myself to lose the fear and awe I should have of your presence...then I begin giving my worship to other things. God, unite my heart with holy fear so that might finally be pulled free of my obsessions with the meaningless things of this world.

87:3 - We the people of God, are the Holy City. Jesus said that the Christian life should stand out in this world like a city on a hill that can be seen from miles away. We are the light of the world. We are representatives of the name of God. Are we living lives that cause glorious things to be said about the name of God?

No comments: