Monday, November 1, 2010

Psalms 58 - 67

58:10-11 - I have to admit, this is a little disturbing and graphic for my taste. I have no real desire to see anyone utterly destroyed or bathe in anybodies blood. I do however want to see God's justice poured out...I do want to see God make things right. There are so many wrongs that need to be righted and one day they will...what can I do in the mean time to right as many wrongs as possible in the name of God?

59:16-17 - Even when life is crazy...it seems like everything is going against you...you are under huge stress, etc. - we need to make sure that we are regularly praising God and reminding ourselves about who He is. Our "huge" problems look a alot smaller when held up next to our incredible God.

60:11-12 - When men and women try to save themselves...it is always in vain. Salvation can only come through God.

61:5 - When we commit our lives to God, we receive a new heritage...a new family. We are the sons and daughters of God! That is the name we carry and the name our lives should represent honorably.

62:1 - Maybe this is why my soul often remains silent...my soul responds only to God. When I chase after other things...when I fill the "void" with whatever comes to mind...when I stay busy so as not to be overwhelmed by the silence - I am ignoring what my soul thirsts for - the living God.

63:6 - This reminds me of something Tony Campolo said once - he said that he often just lays awake in his bed and tries to meditate on the name of Christ. He said that he didn't always need to use jumbles of words to cry out to God - he would just lat there and say the name "Jesus" over and over. Seems like the pslamist is doing something similar saying, "I meditate on you in the watches of the night." When we are alone in the dark, it is great opportunity to meditate on the truth and the light.

64:7-9 - When God brings people to their knees - they finally see...they finally fear and that fear causes them to ponder their relationships with God. Do they blame God and turn away? Or do they finally figure out that there is nothing they can do to save themselves and turn to Him?

65:1-3 - Some more verses describing the character of God: God is worthy of praise. God hears all our prayers. God is gracious and forgiving.

66:3-4 - In the end, all will bow before God. Some will be cringing in fear before Him, finally knowing the cost of their arrogant rejection of their creator. Others will finally on their face in worship finally experiencing the hope they had longed for.

67:1-3 - When God's face shines upon us it is reflected into the world to make His name great. God pours himself into us and Christians should pour themselves into the world. That is how it works...this is a great picture of the way we live out our purpose on this earth. We seek God's face so that when we interact with the citizens of this world they will see His light shining through us.

No comments: