Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Matthew Chapter 23 - February 13, 2008

As we read through these "7 woes" it is really easy to look down on the Pharisees and teachers of the law and imagine how much better we would have reacted to Jesus had we been there, but before we go there...let's check out verse 30. The Pharisees liked to say the same thing! They liked to sit around, look at the OT, see how their ancestors treated the prophets, and talk about how much better they would react to the message of the prophets. Hmm...that sounds familiar...where have I heard that before? As you read through the "7 woes" ask yourself where in your life you are walking dangerously close to being somebody Jesus would say, "WOE" to.

23:8 - This is something I need to remind myself of from time to time. I may be a professional minister, but we are all ministers. We are all brothers in Christ that are following in the footsteps of the one and only rabbi. I am a student and will be a student for my entire life, and I am journeying together with fellow Christians to try and be as much like Jesus as possible. This is something I need to remember when I start worrying about my effectiveness...it's not about me.

23:13 - Woe to those who not only refuse to understand live out and understand the kingdom of heaven, but they also slam the door in the face of people who are trying to get there. Do I ever refuse to step into the purpose and life that God has called me to live? Do I ever allow my hypocrisy to get in the way of other's faith?

23:15 - Woe to those who do whatever it takes to make a disciple and then turn that person into twice the child of hell they are! Uh...wow...intense. Imagine how ticked off the Pharisees must have been upon hearing this. Imagine how ticked off Jesus must have been when he saw the twisted, hypocritical message the Pharisees were cramming down people's throats. What is the message we are living out for the people we come in contact with? Does it draw people to God, or lead them away?

23:16-22 - Woe to those who put more emphasis on man-made religious stuff then on the God who created everything. People in the modern Christian Church would never get caught up in anything like that...oh, wait...my bad - we do it constantly.

23:23 - The Pharisees were so obsessed with doing everything perfectly down to the letter of the law that they would tithe even on their spices, yet they failed to treated real live people with justice and mercy. Do you see anything wrong with that picture? Do you ever get so caught up in going through the religious process of Christianity that you fail to truly "love others" you come in contact with?

23:25 - Woe to those who look good on the outside (I.E. - perfect, smiling church mask and "Sunday best"), and are corrupt on the inside. How could it possibly be good for me to be more worried about people's impression of me then who I really am on the inside?

The sixth woe is another one about the inside being filthy and the outside being clean, and the seventh woe was referred to in the opening paragraph (23:30).

2 comments:

James said...

If you ever hear of anyone telling you the Bible is just full of what not to do or how not to act, they must have just read this passage.

Like you Brando – I pray that I don’t fall into these categories – and if I do, that I turn back to God for quick reconciliation.

To me, the religious leaders of that time were these guys that had no idea that God was no longer in what they were doing. And yet, the programs and traditions continued. A question posed in our D-group last week – if the Holy Spirit left our church, would anyone notice or would everything continue as normal? Made us think...

Message from this chapter – don’t be dead. Be humble, be a servant – but don’t be dead – or something far worse than death will be waiting for you...
Peace,
j

Ish said...

makes me try and think about how often i worry about the rules of christianity instead of focusing on his love and thinking of christianity as a job. can i be so in love with jesus to the point that i do what he wants me to do and not feel obligated?