Thursday, April 10, 2008

Acts Chapter 20 - April 10, 2008

20:4 - Everywhere Paul goes he raises up disciples. He does ministry like Jesus, he invites people to journey with him in faith. Are you doing the same?

20:9 - I guess I can't be too hard on the sleepy Sunday morning kids...none of them have ever fallen off the choir risers and almost died. Maybe I can take a hint from Paul...even incredible speakers like him (Not putting myself in that category...just saying he's incredible) can ramble on a little too long...I'll try to keep it simple, although I will be rolling out about 40 minutes on Sunday.

20:23 - Paul is such a great example...knowing that he is heading into pain and persecution, he walks the path anyway. He is willing to do hard things because his belief in Jesus is so life-changing and real...how about you...how about me?

20:28 - This is a really powerful charge to leaders and ministers. Sometimes I get so caught up in the minutia of my job: scheduling, planning, preparing, brainstorming, etc...that I lose sight of what it is really all about. "Pay careful attention to the flock, in which you have been made overseers by the Holy Spirit, to care for the church that Jesus paid for by His blood." Do I love Him? Feed His sheep. Do you love Him? Feed His sheep.

2 comments:

James said...

In all of Paul’s journeys, he constantly reminds us that he is going where the Holy Spirit leads him. I really pray that we listen like that – that we go where God’s Spirit leads us – even if we know that we might never come back to where we are.

Easy to say – hard to do. May our Lord give us the strength we need.
j

Ish said...

Vocational ministry is interesting to me. Any other job I've ever had, the requirement was always to be doing something. The requirements is the same in vocational ministry, but it doesn't look the same. Instead of always being caught up in all the prep work, I need to remember the reason I am here. I need to remember the purpose I am here. It is so easy to get caught up in everything else. Father, help me to maintain my focus and remember why I am here...