Friday, April 18, 2008

Acts Chapter 26 - April 18, 2008

26:14 - "It is hard for you to kick against the goads." Paul is recounting the story of his conversion and attributes this phrase to Jesus. If you look back at chapter 9, this phase makes no appearance in the conversion narrative. What's up with that? Is Paul embellishing his story for effect (Kinda like the 6 oz. crappy that becomes a 200lb. marlin)? I doubt it. I think it would be safe for us to assume that every word Jesus spoke to Paul at his conversion experience was not recorded - he just shared a little more of the story with us. What I love is that Jesus is just as in your face and witty with his disciples as he was with the Pharisees. Basically he says, "Paul...it must have been hard to ignore all the signs that have pointed to the reality of the gospel...like a horse trying to ignore the whip...that's hard...so because you're so stinking hard headed - here I am!" I would hope that in my own life, I will be open to God's leading and guidance...it's alot easier to get on board with God early, rather than fight Him until collapsing in exhaustion and doing what He wanted anyway!

26:18 - Man, Paul throws it down here. I our mamby-pamby, pluralistic, relative culture, we do not like to have things simplified to right and wrong...but Paul simplifies all of human existence into two categories. Satanic a godly. Everything we do or say is either satanic or godly. The Jews claimed o be God followers, but because they let their jealousy and power cravings get in the way of the gospel - they were actually following the ways of Satan. Paul is preaching the Gospel because he wants his people to saved from the way of Satan. If Christians buy in to the way of the world and the things that the world buys into...they re walking the path of Satan, the ruler of this world. It is all or nothing. Compared to the light of God's truth...everything else is dark and twisted.

26:27ff - Even on trial for his life...Paul is using every opportunity to share the gospel It is incredible! King Agrippa is the man who is going to determine Paul's fate and Pal is relentlessly pursuing Agrippa for Jesus. Do I take His message so seriously?


3 comments:

James said...

What has always impressed me about Paul is his consistency – whether it was pursing Christians or being one and preaching the gospel, Paul is consistent. He takes what he believes and presses forward. I would pray that we would be like that – consistently pressing forward with the message of Christ to others – no matter our situation.
Peace
j

James said...

What - no post from Florida?!? Your wife ratted you out and said that everytime you called you were either eating or at Downtown Disney. Yea - sounds like the kind of study class I want to go to... ;)

Hope all is well. Learn & enjoy!
j

Ish said...

Father, help me to grow. Help me to be willing and to set my pride aside as I continue to be who you want me to be. Thank you for everything.