Friday, January 25, 2008

Matthew 10 - January 25, 2008

Again, there is so much rich, challenging stuff in this chapter, I am not going to do it justice. I am just going to pick out a few things that really spoke to me.

10:14-15 - It is so hard for me to "shake off the dust" of the people who refuse to listen to the truth of God. As a youth minister, it is my job to impart the word of God into the kids lives in such a way that it brings about life change and Christ-like behavior. I know I am not the greatest communicator that has ever lived and I have plenty to work on, but it is really hard for me to shake off the pain of rejection that I experience when it seems like kids just don't get it or just don't want to get it. I take it so personally, and sometimes it can be detrimental to my ministry. I need to understand that everyone makes their own choice with regards to what they believe and how they live that out, and while I need to continue to fight for the souls of students, I also need to realize that sometimes you shake the dust off your feet and move on (That sounds insanely harsh, but it is true).

10:16 - I thought these words of Jesus were very interesting...we need to be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves. I think that many times Christians pull towards one side or the other. They either focus completely on spiritual intellect and getting things done, while neglecting a pursuit of mercy and innocence (And they often consider people that chase after those things naive idiots). Or they separate themselves so much from the world in a pursuit of innocence that they really are clueless about how much the world needs intelligent and dedicated followers of Christ. As disciples of Christ we need to be people that constantly challenge ourselves to grow in knowledge, maturity, and looking at life realistically while never losing the hope that God is moving powerfully in this world and a dedication to personal righteousness.

10:25 - Interesting tid-bit: one of the names associated with the false god Baal, was Beelzeboul which meant "lord of the heavens." The Jews had a cool little term for mocking Baal, by calling him Beelzebub, which means "lord of the flies (Sweet book, by the way...PIGGY...NOOOO!)." Funny name for a man-made lame-o god. Anyway, what Jesus is saying in this verse is this, "If the Pharisees have enough evil within them to call me, the son of God, Satan (i.e. The Lord of Flies), they are gonna hate my followers even more." Basically we see throughout the Gospels that Jesus tells it like it is. He doesn't tell us how wonderful and easy and blessed life is going to be following him...he tells us how stinking hard it is going to be following him. I've said it before and I will say it again - God loves you and He has a difficult plan for your life (I totally ganked that from "Jesus, Mean and Wild").

10:37-39 - This is really hard teaching for me. I love my wife and my sons so much, and they are present, visceral, real, in my life everyday. It is easy to love them with everything I have. It is easy for me to say that I would give my life for them. My question is, do I love God even more? Am I serious enough about my faith and my God that I would put Him above everything...even my wife and kids...even my own life? Jesus is very in-my-face and clear right here - if I am ever to be considered worthy of carrying the name Christian...I have to love Him more than anything or anyone, including myself. God...help me let go...help me love you.

3 comments:

James said...

I like how The Message titles the first section (1-28) The Twelve Harvest Hands. Jesus instructs the 12 and us on how to go out to people of the world – travel light. Don’t take much with you – it will be provided for you.

21-22 “When people realize it is the living God you are presenting and not some idol that makes them feel good (sounds like most of the world today), they are going to turn on you, even people in your own family. (who has had this one happen to them – I have – people I would have never expected to be hateful when presented with the truth) There is a great irony here: proclaiming so much love, experiencing so much hate! But don't quit. Don't cave in. It is all well worth it in the end.” (never stop – never give up)

Forget About Yourself is the title for 29-42. How appropriate – I think I need a daily reminder about this one. And in 32-33, Jesus gets right to the point about what we should do and what He will do - "Stand up for me against world opinion and I'll stand up for you before my Father in heaven. If you turn tail and run, do you think I'll cover for you?”

To go along with God having a difficult plan for our lives, Jesus says in 34 – “Don't think I've come to make life cozy.” Can’t think of the last time I thought life was cozy.

Side note – Brando – like what you said about having to put God first. I have told my wife and kids that I have to love God first and put Him before them. If I don’t have God first, I will surely get other loves in my life wrong. (and don’t call me Shirley…)
j

Geoff Oliver said...

Man! strong verse! i like this chapter because Jesus used many parables, or so it seemed.

Ish said...

Two things stand out: be shrewd like snakes and innocent as doves. This stands out to me because it's like we preach this idea of outreach and loving everybody without any sort of screening process. We are human beings. We can only handle so much. When we were told to reach everyone, it wasn't meant at the cost of anything. We need to be careful of our strategies, since there are times when outreach can be more hurtful than helpful. The other thing that stands out is the thought of loving God first and foremost. This seems like something easy, until you get married. Then it seems impossible when you have kids. But the way I like to think about it is this: the love you are capable of when you put God first is greater than that of when you put family first. A relationship with God is one that will teach you love at its best, therefore making you capable of loving your family, who is the second priority in your life, more than if they were the most important. It's like giving up your top tier job for something less important that pays more.