Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Matthew Chapter 13 - January 30, 2008

13:29-30 - I love this imagery...we see a patient God who is willing to give "weeds" a chance to become "wheat." Sometimes it is easy to ask why God just doesn't destroy all the evil people in the world (Always choosing to ignore that we often find ourselves in the ranks of the evil), but God loves His created people and He wants to give the kingdom of heaven a chance to take hold in as many lives as possible. How many sinful and evil people as their lives rolled on have eventually found the true way?

Mustard Seed/Yeast - Again, great imagery. He uses two seemingly insignificant objects that do incredible things. The tiny mustard seed grows into a tree, and a little bit of yeast spreads until it is in every area of the bread dough. The message of Jesus lived out in the lives of normal, everyday, "insignificant" people like you and me - is pure world-changing power! Pretty cool, huh?

Hidden Treasure/Pearl - Here he goes again, Jesus is making me uncomfortable. Both of the men in these stories are willing to give everything...EVERYTHING, to get the prize they desire. Jesus says the kingdom of heaven - His Way - is the prize that should be every heart's desire. Is that the way I live? Is that the commitment I have made to His Way...that there is nothing I withhold?

3 comments:

James said...

I have always liked the parables – I think they make me to re-examine my life when I read them.

It is unreal to me how Jesus is not accepted by hometown family, friends, and neighbors. If they had paid any attention at all to Him while He was growing up, the message should have been blatantly obvious – they chose not to see.

I pray I always try to see and listen to Jesus for who He really is. Like Peter said - You (Jesus) have the words of eternal life. What else is there – uh –hummm – nothing!
Peace - j

Geoff Oliver said...

i think this first parable is very powerful. um i think it means that many people have fallen on the way side and are not in God's will. as for the second one,no clue!

Ish said...

I once heard a sermon by a dude named Chris Siedman called "Living life in the weeds." Totally based off this passage, Siedman talks about the importance of being around the weeds and standing out. We weren't left simply because we may get pulled, but to change others and making more wheat.