Monday, January 28, 2008

Matthew Chapter 11 - January 28, 2008

11:2-3 - It has always seemed strange to me that John the Baptist sends his disciples to ask Jesus if he is the real deal. Remember, John has already baptized Jesus and seen the Holy Spirit come down on Jesus. In the book of John, John the Baptist makes a declaration of Jesus being the son of God that has come to save the world (John 1). Why does he question Jesus now? I think it is good for us to see that even prophets experience doubt. Just as Elijah - days after defeating the prophets of Baal (With a "little" help from God - sarcasm hopefully noted)...runs likes a baby from the evil queen...I think John is second guessing Jesus as God's son. Where is the revolution? Where is the new nation of Israel? This guy just heals people and talks about this impossible way of living. I think it is good for us to see that even John had doubts. It is okay to have doubts...it is okay to question God...but never give up...never lose hope - I think a really smart guy once said, "Seek and you will find." John found out that his doubts were just his screwed up human side getting in the way and you will too.

11:18-19 - This is such a typical human issue...the Pharisees and teachers of the law are seeing a change to the way that they think following God should be done, so they do what everybody does when they start to lose control...they try to convince people that anyone who thinks differently then them is evil. John comes fasting and preaching repentance and they call him a demon. So Jesus comes feasting and throwing a huge party because the kingdom of heaven has just come crashing to earth and the salvation of the entire world is about to be worked out, and they call him a drunken lecher. Nothing could please them...they didn't want their way of living changed...they didn't want to lose their places of importance based on following man made rules...they didn't want the true message of Jesus Christ - they only wanted God if He fit nicely into the little box they had made for him. Sound familiar? That couldn't possibly happen in modern day Christian churches ("Hello, I'm dripping!" - Sarcasm)!

11:20-24 - This reminds me of the people I have seen who went to church their entire lives and never really got it (I know these people well, because I was one of them until the age of 19). They played the church game and did the church thing, but never really believed that God was moving in their life because they never really lived like it outside of church. All around them, God was doing the miraculous and they were too caught up in themselves to see it. Contrast that with people I have seen come into churches after living a life separated from God and the Christian community. Those people see the difference. They see God at work in the everyday. They see the power of God to bring life change and because of that power, they do whatever it takes to walk the path of Christ. I strongly believe that there will be some woes set aside for those who spent a lifetime in church and never really saw God. God, let me open my eyes to see your power and majesty daily.

11:30 - We have talked in chapter after chapter about how the way of Jesus is hard, yet right here he says that his yoke is easy and his burden is light - what gives? The yoke IS easy...it goes something like this, "Trust in Jesus. Quit trying to save yourself and let go - let Jesus strength cover over your weakness. Let his blood cover over your sin." The hard part comes when you try going against everything your culture tells you is important. The hard part comes when you try setting down your pride and accepting the fact that you are helpless against sin. The hard part comes when you try to overcome your guilt and accept that God loves you. After that - the burden is easy, because the son of God is carrying it.

4 comments:

James said...

One of the main things I wonder – if I lived back then, would I have recognized Jesus as the Christ? If I had seen His miracles, whose side would I have stood on? What would I have done?

It’s really interesting to me to see Jesus go off on the towns He had been working in – telling them that Sodom will get off easier at judgment day than they will. What would He say to me/us today?

Don’t know about you but I have had a lot of people in my life tell me how smart they are, how high their IQs are, blah, blah, etc. Only thing is – no matter what I said, what other Christians said – they still don’t believe in God’s only Son. Not so smart after all…

The Message summed up how I feel (28) - Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest.

All praise to God for the real rest we find in His Son.
j

Geoff Oliver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geoff Oliver said...

ok, this would be a tough decision for me too. i mean, if i lived then, would i have known he was jesus? i dont know, but would have tried, for sure, to make the right decision. and, james, i dont think those other people are very smart, either.

i have been told i wont go to heaven cause i talk to allot of people. i wonder how smart they are...
Oh, and Amen, james.

Ish said...

Such an interesting challenge, let Jesus carry it for you against what your culture tells you...