Thursday, January 31, 2008

Matthew Chapter 14 - January 31, 2008

14:2ff - Basically Herod doesn't like being called out for sleeping with his brother's wife, so he arrests John for being a magical zombie (Herod thinks John has miraculous powers because he has been raised from the dead). Instead of being a man of integrity and listening when God has put someone in his life who is willing to hold him accountable to his actions - he silences John. When I have been called on the carpet before, my initial reactions are to make excuses and mentally try to discredit the person holding me accountable...hmmm, I sound a lot like Herod. I hope that I can be the kind of man that listens to people who actually love me enough to tell me when I'm screwing up.

14:13 - When Jesus hears about the death of John the Baptist, he withdraws to a desolate place by himself. I am always moved when Jesus shows the grief he feels over death. Jesus is God - he knows that John is a godly man and he knows that John's place in the world to come is secure, but he still hurts for him. He grieves because Jesus knows that death was never meant to be a part of the human experience...sin brought death into existence. Every time Jesus comes in contact with death he hurts for the brokenness of man, and he was willing to give everything to end that destructive cycle.

14:22ff - This has always been one of my favorite stories, and however you interpret it...it makes a strong point. If Peter sinks into the water because he has taken his eyes off of Jesus and starts worrying about the waves...then we see a great picture of Christian life - whenever you take your eyes off of Christ you fall away. If Peter sinks into the water because he loses faith in himself being able to do what the son of God does (Maybe part of the reason Jesus call him, "Little Faith.")...then we have an inspiring picture of the fact that God has trusted us with a lot; God trusts that we can do incredible things for His kingdom (Through the power of the Holy Spirit of course); and maybe we should remember that God has put the great commission into the hands of messed up people like us...He thinks we can do it! Powerful imagery either way, with powerful lesson for our lives.

14:36 - I love the faith of these people...they beg Jesus just to let them touch the hem of his cloak because they believe so fully in his power. It seems like I am always asking for more and more from Jesus - it's like I can never get enough - I want to trust so fully in him that I live in a state of fullness and satisfaction because he always give me what I need.

4 comments:

James said...

Most guys think that if you grieve / cry, you are rather un-manly. I should know – I was told this growing up. Jesus, who is not a pansy, gives a whole new definition to grief – it’s okay – get it out and let it go. Brando – thumbs up to that part about Jesus being sad because He knows that death was never supposed to exist – had never really thought of it that way.

The compassion of Jesus is another thing that really gets me. Instead of being mad at us and justifiable so (see Revelation), Jesus looks on the people and His heart goes out to them. The Son of God, God among us – and His heart goes out to a bunch of sinners – including me. This is what we call a clue – God does want to be in our lives, He does care, and even though we cannot see Him right now – He is here.

As for Peter’s late night water stroll, I like how the Message puts Christ’s response to Peter: (31) Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "Faint-heart, what got into you?" I know how that feels – after the dust settles and I look around at the mess I’ve made, it brings the questions of what happened – what got into me?

I pray that we are all less faint-hearted when it comes to dealing with matters that God has given to us – matters that He has given us the talents and skills to get through. Less faint – more heart.
j

Geoff Oliver said...

Man, i did not know that, james! but then again i kinda did! cause some of my friends say crying is for girls and babies. as RK say, "Let it all out, get it all out..."
Faethon

Geoff Oliver said...

oh, i almost forgot! NEVER- i repeat NEVER- take your eyes off Jesus!

Ish said...

Jesus' response to the group of people stands out here. In the midst of grief for what death has done, he is able to keep his composure and blesses the desperate people. Grieving is right. But do I have the eyes of Jesus to the point that I can notice others in the midst of my pain? Continue to mold me father...