Friday, July 11, 2008

2 Corinthians Chapters 9 and 10 - July 11, 2008

9:6 - I believe this applies across the board...sow sparingly, reap sparingly. Pray sparingly and you will only have sparing success in ministry. Share the gospel sparingly, bring people into the kingdom sparingly. I long to always sow bountifully from the gratuitous gifts that God is pouring out onto me every day.

9:8 - God is so huge everything matters - everything. He is big enough to care. He is big enough and in love with you enough to care about every aspect of your life. There are no hidden, insignificant parts of your existence...He takes great interest in you and your life and wants to see you come in contact with His will, to use the good gifts He gives to make a difference in this world and the world to come. 

Chapter 10 - This is a little weird and pitiful, but I take great pleasure in the fact that Paul didn't have a perfect super-human ministry. People didn't always understand what he meant. Sometimes he found it harder to confront people face to face than from a distance (phone and e-mail are often much more appealing, though a much worse option for confrontation). Sometimes he came across as a little arrogant. I told you it was weird and pitiful, but it makes me feel better because I have many flaws as a minister and ministry leader. I am also happy to know that even though he was flawed God worked powerfully through Paul and Paul understood that he was nothing without God. I hope that I can continue to see that there is no true success in life without God and I know that because He is good and powerful He will continue to use me to do His work in spite of myself.

2 comments:

James said...

2Cor9
Too often there is arm-twisting and sob stories involved with giving. Then you might feel obligated. For me – sometimes it’s confused – if I don’t give I am being stingy, but if I do, then it’s out of obligation and not cheerful.

But God asks us to be glad to give – whether it’s to our church, a charity, or just a person or family in need.

And that is what I pray for – that we are always happy when we give – that we want to give – even when we think that we don’t have enough – time, money, resources – that we remember that God will fill our needs.

God was happy to give to us – why shouldn’t we be happy to give to others?

2Cor10
18 (Msg) - What you say about yourself means nothing in God's work. It's what God says about you that makes the difference.

What does God say about me? What did David do that caused God to call David a man after God’s own heart? David was pretty great and messed up at the same time. What about Enoch? God called him a friend. Enoch turned out to be such a good friend that God took him to heaven one day minus the death part.

Hard question. If we treated one of our friends like we treat God, what would they say? I hope they would NOT ask – why don’t you spend time with me?

Peace,
j

Ish said...

Father, I thank you for being who you are, and for completing me. I thank you for seeing and loving me and using me though I am flawed and constantly fail you and am not worthy of being in your presence. Thank you for sending your son Jesus to die on the cross for me! I love you!