Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ephesian Chaper 6 - August 6, 2008

6:1-4 - As a parent, I know it is easy to focus in on a few words from this section: "obey your parents," "honor your father and mother," "discipline." But I need to remember that the command given to me in verse for is to bring my children up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. Am I raising my kids to be disciplined because they fear retribution, or am I raising my kids to be disciplined in their pursuit of God...to know the words of God in their heart. That is my job.

6:7 - There are people in our culture that feel like they are slaves to their jobs...I have heard many Christians remark about how secular their workplaces are and how much they want to get out, but those are the places we need Christians, right (I say passionately from my computer in the 100% Christian Northside office...I feel lame, but this is still true)? The people that Paul is talking to are actual slaves...they are owned by another person and he is calling them to forget about serving out of human reasoning, but to look at every day as a new day to honor God. That is what all of us should be doing in our places of work. Even if you feel like an underpaid, under appreciated, slave to your job...you can step into the office with an attitude of ministry. Seeing your secular environment as a great opportunity for mission work and service to God.

6:12 - In our ultra-modern, "educated" times, we spend very little time thinking about the spiritual warfare that is raging all around us. There are probably many Christians that don't ever think about the reality of the spiritual realm coexisting alongside ours. We are worried about the now...we are worried about the flesh and blood people all around us that can hurt our egos and hurt our bodies...but Paul warns that we need to wake up and understand that the spiritual war being waged is fought over your soul and your mind - this is a much more dangerous game.

6:18 - I have been reading a book called "Practicing God's Presence," written about a French monk from the 1600's who tried to lived every minute of every day in connecting with God. It is a beautiful concept, that Paul echoes in this verse. A key to spiritual growth and strength is to stay constantly in contact with God...constantly in prayer. It is detrimental to our faith to think about times to pray...segments of our day that we set aside for prayer...while other times are seen as "our time." Every moment is God's moment and I hope I can start to shift to a place in my life where I am constantly focused on God and constantly in connection with my master.

3 comments:

James said...

Interesting – how often is the Christian life compared to a walk, path, or race. And suddenly, the same writer who said that stuff now says it’s a fight. I know that too often in my life when I think of running the race and finishing strong – that’s generally when I start to be a Christian slacker.

But when I think of it as a fight – war – battle – something kicks in. I no longer want to mess around with God’s stuff – I want to be in it to win it. Prayer is a weapon – the Word is a weapon – but weapons are only as effective as you make them – practice everyday – know how to use the tools (aka weapons!) that God has given you. After all, you never know when a fight is waiting around the next turn in life.

Finally – like how you use my Master – in my conversations with God, I use the phrase “My Master” quite a bit – usually proceed by “Yes”. :)

Peace,
j

Brand al Thor said...

Here's my ear God - nail me to the door post!(That is what slaves did when they were offered freedom and wanted to remain the slaves of a truly benevolent master - they nailed their ear to the door post and were quickly pulled free I'm sure)...wow, ear piercing really is holy! I'll be God's slave any day...especially when the alternative is slavery to sin and the world - both lame masters.

Ish said...

Father, I am grateful that you are such a great master. You want what's best for me, and that is to live in community with others by having You as our main focus. Continue to test me, build me, and mold me as I grow to be better at what i do for you everyday. I love you...