Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Luke Chapter 5 - August 13, 2008

5:5 - Jesus is no fisherman. Peter is a professional fisherman who has just had a lousy day and just wants to go home. Jesus tells him to stop cleaning up and go cast his nets again. Peter has got to be skeptical, "What does this guy know about fishing?" But even though he doubts - he believe sin Jesus enough to do what he says. We will always have doubts, I hope we will always have enough faith to step out in the midst of doubt.

5:8 - Peter is ashamed that he ever doubted Jesus and falls at his feet feeling unworthy to be in Jesus' presence. The cool thing is that Jesus' sees the potential of Peter...Jesus asks him to be a disciple right after this because he sees that Peter can act even in the face of doubt and that is important. I hope Jesus sees that in me too.

5:16 - We see that Jesus continues to recharge after spiritual warfare with solitude and prayer. Are we getting the hint yet?

5:23 - We all want signs from God...we want Him to tell us exactly what to do and spell everything out for us, but biblically, those kind of signs are reserved for the people with the weakest faith. Jesus hears the religious leaders begin to mumble and he says, "Oh, you need physical proof...that's how weak your faith is...well, here you go - get up and walk!" A greater sign of maturity and trusting God is to be able to act on faith.

5:38ff - These are some in your face object lessons. He is basically saying, "You are stuck in your ways and would never accept me, so I needed to find new vessels for the wild truth that I'm bringing to the table." The new paradigm Jesus was bringing didn't fit into the old "wineskins" of the Pharisees. This is a cautionary tale - don't get so caught up in your ideas of what Christianity looks like that you lose the ability to be molded into what Jesus tells us Christianity looks like.

1 comment:

Ish said...

I am just completely taken by the story of Jesus calling Peter out for ministry. This is a guy who at one point in his life was rejected for the role of pharisee (all boys began this process, going through cuts as they got deeper. One assumes that Peter, a jew, was a part of this process). Having settled to doing the family trade of fisherman, which comes with no social status, here is a man who has nothing to live for, and knows his religious practices have a flaw (notice how quickly a guilt comes over him after Jesus does this great act, and begins to defend himself). Yet, Jesus, in the midst of all that is Peter, looks at him and is able to say, "I can use you. You yourself are incomplete and have been rejected by your own people. I will show them that through me, you can do all things!" Father, I thank you for being able to look at me and saying, "I can use Ish!" Continue to build me and mold me. I pray for humility; that I constantly be reminded that it is not by my own doing that I am who I am, but only because of you that I can stand tall with my head held high. I love you...