Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Acts Chapter 8 - March 25, 2008

8:5 - One word...SAMARIA. The Jews hated the Samaritans. They were considered half-breeds because they were Jews who had intermarried with other non-Jewish Arabic people. They had created their own temple in Samaria so that they could continue their own form of Judaism, which enraged the Jews even more. But the power of the gospel enabled Philip to overcome his bias and hatred and share the truth about Jesus with the people of Samaria. Who is my Samaria? What do I need to do to overcome my bias and live out the gospel like Philip?

8:13 - Simon is a con-artist...he has seen it all...he knows every trick in the book...he knows how to put on a good show and wow the crowds, but when he is faced with the reality of the power of God at work he is truly amazed. It is so easy to get caught up in the things of this world...to think they are meaningful and powerful and awe-inspiring (Right now, I'm thinking of March Madness...the drama, the Cinderella stories, the passion for the game, the athleticism)...but when we catch a glimpse of God at work int he lives of people and the world around us - I think we like Simon understand what it truly means to be amazed and inspired. God's power makes everything else seem so ephemeral (Good word, huh?)...it makes all the stuff we get jazzed about seem so unimportant - because it is. Nothing can hold up to the magnitude of the reality of the power of God working in our lives.

8:30ff - Again, Philip is such a great example of what it means to really "live it." After taking the gospel to his once hated religious enemies, we now see that he is completely open to the Spirit of God at work on him and he is willing to listen and follow the Spirit's prompting. He goes where the Spirit leads him and he is ready when an opportunity to present the gospel makes itself available. God, I want to be so plugged into you that I am always ready...always ready to follow your urging...always ready to leap into the opportunities that you create for me to expand your kingdom.

8:36 - Baptism - let's throw all the hypotheticals aside...all the theological debates aside...look at the simple statement from the Ethiopian eunuch. "Hey there's some water, what is holding me back from getting baptized?" He believes in the truth of Jesus that Philip has shared and he is ready to act. He believes - there's some water - what is holding him back? Why wouldn't he get baptized? That is what he is saying - I believe, why wouldn't I follow in the footsteps of Christ? That is what the baptism debate comes down to for me...if you are a believer and nothing is physically holding you back, why wouldn't you get baptized? It's what Jesus did...it's what we do to make our allegiance. Does it save you - no, Jesus does! Do we do it for church membership - I sure hope not...I hope we do it because we believe and because of that belief we act. Why wouldn't we?

1 comment:

Ish said...

I love the eunuch's response after Philip leaves. He is full of joy and grateful. Father, thank you for who you are and forgive me for not being grateful. Continue to do what you do and continue to mold me into who you want me to be.