Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mark Chapters 8 and 9 - March 4, 2008

Sorry, I didn't have extended access to the Internet yesterday, so I will be covering 8 and 9 today. Also, I feel horrible (Much love for you James), so if I'm off my game...my apologies (Sorry God).

8:12 - I love the way the ESV words the beginning of this verse, "And he sighed deeply in his spirit." That just jumps off the page...you can see the frustration of Jesus with these religious leaders. It is really kinda heartbreaking that the Pharisees don't get it. The Messiah is there and they just can't see it...they won't buy in...they have to have every question answered...they have to have a sign from heaven, and Jesus says they aren't going to get it. (Heavy sigh) How many times do I have to worry and question God only to see His plan come to fruition later, before I start walk with a childlike trust through my life?

8:17-21 - IT"S NOT ABOUT BREAD! I bet that was floating around Jesus head somewhere as he sets his disciples straight. Jesus is waxing eloquent about the destructive lies of the Pharisees and his followers cannot stop worrying about where their next meal is supposed to come from. What lessons from God are we missing out on because we are so caught up in the things of this world?

8:36 - "For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?" Absolutely nothing...it is actually ridiculous when you think about it this simply.

8:38 - May I live unashamed.

9:23-24 - The father's response is beautiful in it's simplicity and humility. I believe - now please help me in my unbelief. I want to pray like this and live like this..."I believe in you Jesus but I know I am flawed and I know I have unfortunately doubted you before, so please help me in my unbelief."

9:29 - We don't know exactly how the disciples were trying to drive out the demons, but prayer was the only answer to fight this evil spirit. I think in the face of spiritual warfare and temptation, prayer should always be our first option. Call on the name of Jesus; meditate on his name - on the image of him on the cross; call on the strength of your Father in heaven. Maybe the disciples were relying on themselves...we can't do that. The enemy doesn't pull any punches and neither should we.

*There is some really interesting stuff at the end of the chapter, but again - I feel like crud (Again, much love J), so please comment...I look forward to reading what you think.

3 comments:

Sheldon said...

Can we get a new poll?

James said...

Just a general comment – I have noticed as we go through Matthew and Mark some of the stories that people bring up as contradictions. Oh – this is different or that is not the same quote.

Yet people will so willing to take the word of a newscaster, someone on TV, in a movie, or on the internet who has no support for what they are saying – or worse yet – selling.

I guess what I got out of today – have faith that God is strong enough to preserve His Word. Different points of view (vantage points) will yield different versions of the same story. And yet, it is all absolute truth.

A quote from the movie The Time Changers – “I believe that secular entertainment is one of the biggest tools that Satan uses to mislead people.” Outstanding in the application of verses 43-47. I know I was mislead – unfortunately, I could give a novella of examples, but I don’t have time and they would revoke my blog account. So - where is Satan misleading you?

Finally - great quote from The Message today – (9:49-50)"Everyone's going through a refining fire sooner or later, but you'll be well-preserved, protected from the eternal flames. Be preservatives yourselves. Preserve the peace." We all go through the fire – God’s absolute truth – His Word – will guide us and shield us. Not shield us from the things here on Earth, but from eternal bad stuff. For Christ, I am willing to be hurt here so I won’t be permanently hurt later. Are you?

Peace,
j

Ish said...

We just finished up a series with the story of the father and his son who had the demon. I am amazed at the father's "immediate" response. We learned that when you are like Christ, in times of need your gut feeling is better than thinking through. For this to be true, we must be like Christ at our very core. Can we be so Christ-like at our core, that when we are faced with trials we answer like the father in this story, and be like Jesus throughout the process?