Monday, March 10, 2008

Mark Chapter 13 - March 10, 2008

This is very similar to Matthew Chapter 24, so I won't be redundant and cover the exact same things...

What really jumps out at me is verse 13:10...this really seems to sum up the whole chapter for me. Verse 10 comes after Jesus explains how terrible things are going to get in the world of men - wars, violence, natural disasters, famine, Christians persecuted and put on trial (This doesn't sound familiar at all (Dripping with sarcasm)). But Jesus wants us to understand that the gospel MUST be proclaimed...no matter what happens...no matter what we come up against, the gospel must be proclaimed. That is our job. I get so unbelievably caught up in meaningless stuff that as I sit here and look with my mind's eye at my life, I can hardly believe it. I only have a short time on this earth and I MUST proclaim the gospel...everything else is going to pass away when I do...what legacy will I leave behind? Hopefully one of a man who desperately tried to live out the gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't want this to sound like I think we should all run around verbally proclaiming the gospel at inappropriate times actually becoming a deterrent for people turning to Christ...I think we need to live the gospel: that through the way I live...the the joy and peace that I have...through the choices I make...through the things I say...through the relationships I build...through the use of my time...I proclaim the gospel. That's what I want to do...why can I not get that through my thick skull?

2 comments:

James said...

I really like this verse in both translations:
Verse 11 NIV - Whenever you are arrested and brought to trial, do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

Verse 11 Message - When they bring you, betrayed, into court, don't worry about what you'll say. When the time comes, say what's on your heart—the Holy Spirit will make his witness in and through you.

What I try to remember - through trails (not just the ones in court), the Holy Spirit will make His witness in and through me – it will not be me speaking, but the Holy Spirit.

I think too often we try to rely on ourselves for the answers. I have told my wife and others that if you hear something really good from me, it could have only been the Spirit speaking through me. All glory to God for that…
j

Ish said...

End times passages are a love/hate relationship for me. They lead to several disagreements and beliefs. It is so difficult to interpret what they are saying with 100 percent accuracy. But there is one consistent thing I have heard from everyone who's ever taught on an end times passage: the time is now! Now is the time to be active for the sake of the gospel. We must do everything we can to live out the name of Jesus Christ and share Him with the rest of the world with a sense of urgency.