Monday, June 16, 2008

Hebrews 4 - June 16, 2008

The first section about rest is a difficult one - at least to me. I looked at about 5 translations to see if there was a better way to read it - something that would give me the - oh, now I get it.

I think 1-11 drives home the point of don't give up - have faith until the end - whatever end that may be. Today is the time - God's words, not mine.

Vs12 - For the word of God is living and active. Ever wondered if God's Word is relevant for today - here's your answer. Not only is the Word alive, the Word is active. See John 1:1-3, 14 for more on the Word.

And why do people not want to hear God's Word - because it is "Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Swords hurt - the Word is sharper - and people generally don't like pain. This is one of the many reasons why there is so much rejection of God's Word.

Worried He might miss something that happens to you - vs13 says that "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight."

I love 14-16. We have Jesus. We should hold on to our faith in Him - why? Because he's been there and got the t-shirt to prove it - and yet He never once messed up - no sin. That's who I want as my representation before God. He is my confidence - He gives me undeserving mercy - He gives me grace to see it through in times of trouble and need.

And after the weekend I had, His love, grace, and the lovely wife given to me are the only things keeping me going.

Peace,
james

1 comment:

Ish said...

Father, I thank you for your son and the life he carried and the example he laid out for me by living life as I live it, yet always living up to your standard and holding up your name as high as possible. I ask that you continue to raise me, test me, and put me in situation where I can glorify your name. Thank you!