Friday, June 20, 2008

Hebrews 8 - June 20, 2008

The tie in with chp7 is great and I like how the Message says that "Jesus' priestly work far surpasses what these other priests do, since he's working from a far better plan" - God's salvation plan.

This isn't some 12 step program or promotion plan - this is the God of the seen and unseen everything (universe just won't quite cover it) and His plan to save me - and you - and everyone that you meet today.

There is a lot of quoting here from the OT - Exodus 25 and Jer. 31. I know that some of this might deal with future events, but I also think that it could deal with the here and now - "I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts" - to me, God's Spirit starts to do that from the moment you accept the Son as the Way.

I find that I remember more of God's Word because I want to and the Spirit gives me the ability to do just that. Keep asking for wisdom with God's Word, believe that receive that wisdom and you will. Don't believe me - look it up.

Peace,
james

1 comment:

Ish said...

I love the writer of Hebrews being adamant about the old covenant and how it was never meant to be a long term thing. He mentions that religious leaders under the old covenant weren't required to make an oath, simply because the system wasn't going to last, therefore why make them promise to do something that won't last? A covenant is forever. The other thing I notice is that he continuously repeats a phrase along the lines of "the law makes nothing perfect." Thank you Jesus for changing things and making a new covenant...