Friday, September 5, 2008

Luke Chapter 18 - September 5, 2008

18:8 - What a great challenge for us! When Jesus returns will he find people of faith? Will there be a legacy of believers that have been left behind by my generation and the generations to come. The responsibility is ours. I want to make sure there is faith, true faith, on earth when Jesus returns.

18:13 - We have to remember that the only thing we have to boast about is God's great mercy. The Pharisee probably believer that God was lucky to have him on His side...the dishonest tax collector understood that the mercy of God was the only truly good thing about his life. Which camp do we fall into?

18:17 - How does a child approach life - with innocence, joy and total trust in his protectors. To receive the kingdom of God we must seek innocence...see the joy and blessings poured out on us every day...and trust completely in God.

18:24 - I covered this in my blog over Matthew chapter 19.

18:34 - The disciples were clueless to the importance of what Jesus was saying. In our own discipleship journey, I think there are times when we forget or ignore the power of Jesus sacrifice. We allow ourselves to get blinded by our own misconceptions of importance and preoccupations with meaninglessness and we forget just how necessary and life-changing his death is for our life.

18:39 - Even when he is being rejected and persecuted by the people around him, he continues to cry out to Jesus because he knows that Jesus offers the only path to healing and life. This blind man is a great example for us to follow. I hope that I can be a man who chases after Christ regardless of how I am perceived by my peers. 

4 comments:

Stephen said...

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." ---> "anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

Anonymous said...

A couple of thoughts on the persistent widow.

1. The two greatest commandments are love God - love others. This judge was opposite of that. So here is a judge completely oppostie of God.

2. The widow wasn't asking to get ahead or to be given an advantage. She was only asking for justice.

We should pray without ceasing, but our motives should be holy.

Anonymous said...

In verses 31-34....it drives me nuts that the disciples are so clueless about what Jesus is telling them!

Ish said...

Father, I come to you now, not only as a sinner asking for forgiveness for the times I have failed you, but also as a prideful man asking that you never let me think more of myself than I should. I ask that I be continually humbled and reminded everyday of my need for you. I have lived the life that says I can do it on my own, and it is a scary place. Help me to be more dependent and in the midst of my humility training, help me to not be so humbled that I become useless, but instead use this humility to brag about you and share your light with others. Thank you for using me and watching over me. I love you...