Monday, September 8, 2008

Luke Chapter 19 - September 8, 2008

19:8 - Zacchaeus' faith immediately became evident through action. Do I live my life in the same way? Is my faith evident through my words and actions? Is my belief real enough to cause action?

Ten Minas - Jesus uses this parable to reference the future after the cross. He is the nobleman, going to another place to receive his kingdom. There are people that despised Jesus...they didn't buy in to him or his message and they were happy to see him die on the cross (religious leaders - they were probably even praying to God to condemn Jesus, because they hated him...strangely enough God allowed Jesus to be condemned because he loved them - ironic). The people that were followers of Christ were going to react in different ways. Some would take his message and the spirit within them and build upon Jesus kingdom...because they bought in...they trusted him...they loved him. Other servants do nothing with his truth - these are no real servants because it means they do not truly follow their king. They are servants out of convenience and do nothing to build on his kingdom. Justice will be swift when everything is made
right. To those who worked to build the kingdom and act on their beliefs - infinitely more will be given. Those who pretended to be followers of Christ and did nothing with his gifts, will be known as wicked wastrels. Those who always rejected Jesus - will receive rejection from the judge and ruler Jesus. Who are we?

19:26 - There must have been hundreds or thousand of people following Jesus at this time because they covered the entire road with their cloaks. It must have been beautiful to see...thousands praising the son of God and cheering him into the city. Unfortunately, Jesus knew that very few of these people would stick with him through the end. They wanted a conquering king, not a sacrificial lamb. We never learn our lessons...look at the crusades and inquisition and the middle east, look at what happens when religion is used to rule a country. The power of the way of Jesus does not work in the political realm, because the power of the way of Jesus is in self-sacrifice and humility. That is how Christians are going to change the world...through sacrificial living...through unconditional love...through humble service.

19:41ff - Jesus weeps because so few of God's people turn out to support their Messiah. He says, "If you had only known what it truly takes to make peace in this world!" See, they believe that their Messiah was going to be a bringer of war...someone who would crush their enemies through force. Jesus walked the path he walked because the peace that we needed could only be bought through his death.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

14"But his subjects hated him"

it doesn't say why they hated him.. in the end of the parable he kills them.. so is this speaking about people who hate/condemn what they don't know or condemning those who love evil and despise good? i guess it could be both.. or neither

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who I am. I want to say the person who follows Jesus to the end yet I haven't really done anything wonderful to benifit his kingdom. I need to change that. But how?

~Jaimee

James said...

1st one - could be - in the end the parable is speaking of those who oppose or ignore God - cause without God - you are dead.

2nd one - don't give up. keep praying - ask God for His guidance. it may never big things - small actions for Him seem to be my calling.

peace,
j

Anonymous said...

In verse 10..."For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." I am assuming Jesus is talking about the man's relationship with the Lord?

Stephen...I think part of the reason why they hated the king was explained a little by verses 20 through 21.

20"Then another servant came and said, 'Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth. 21I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.'

I guess they hated him because he was a corrupt and unjust king.

Ish said...

I say it's a little strong to say that he is an unjust king. In this parable, the king is a picture of Jesus. He is hard. By hard I mean that he doesn't like to settle. Jesus demands our entire self; not just a partial commitment. This isn't to say that he demands us to be flawless; but in our weakness to fully be able to say that He is our all. Father, I love you, and I ask that you continually keep me reminded that I need you. I have been getting a little to confident for my taste lately, and I want to rely on you to do what you require for the glory of your kingdom. I love you...