Friday, September 12, 2008

Luke Chapter 23 - September 12, 2008

23:3 - We have seen throughout the gospels, that Jesus can destroy anybody in an argument, yet when he is on trial he refuses to defend himself. This is just another example of Jesus forsaking his wisdom and power because of his great love for us. He could easily have defended himself and won his freedom, but instead he stayed his tongue and willingly headed to the cross. I hope in this life that I can follow in the footsteps of my master and willingly humble myself for the good of His kingdom.

23:12 - I think they became friends because they were both agreed that the charges of the Jewish religious leaders were ridiculous. Their point of unity was the absurdity of the prosecution...this is just more evidence of the innocence of Jesus.

23:39 - The thief on the cross shows us the characteristics of a true believer. A: He believes so strongly that he is willing to defend the name of Jesus. B: He fully understands his guilt and Jesus' innocence. C: He faithfully understands that even in death Jesus is the only one who has the power to save him. I never thought I would say this, but I aspire to e a thief...this thief anyway.

23:49 - Anybody else notice that the women are the only disciples of Jesus left? There is power in the quiet, unmovable faith of a godly woman. 

23:50 - Another man to emulate from this passage (besides Jesus, of course) is Joseph. I want to be described like him in my life - good, righteous, goes against the crowd, seeks the kingdom of God, and honors and respects Jesus.   

2 comments:

Stephen said...

"31For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?"

22:3 So, we shouldn't consider justice in regards to ourselves when people accuse us unjustly?

Ish said...

I love that Pilate and Herod became friends over Jesus. It astonishes me how powerful Jesus is: people are for him or against him, but at the end of the day, everything revolves around him. In a prideful way, that is my King! I also love what Brandon pointed out: the only remaining disciples of Jesus were women. Women, though God has placed man in a leadership role, will rise up if a man doesn't. Father, I thank you for my wife and the example she is in my life. I ask that you continue to use her and make her the woman you want her to be, and continue to open my eyes to see the wonders you do in her life. Help me to be more appreciative of her. I love you...